Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Christmas Day Dress

As our xmas days are always very hot here I wanted some cool to wear that didn't have any sleeves. I decided to try New Look 6810  ( the brown version ) and make it into a dress.

I have made this before in a woven review here and also in a knit. I really liked it in the knit and thought it would look summery in a fabric that I picked up at Textile Traders. I am really happy with how it turned out and it was so comfortable to wear on Xmas day with all the eating!!

I think the hem length is a little long and may go ahead and shorten it a couple of inches to my knees.

My little Lucy who is eleven always likes a new xmas dress too so I just draped this on her and sewed a back seam. It has a second layer of fabric at the bust which goes around the back forms hanging ties. For something so simple it looked so pretty on her.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Knit Sorbetto

Life just seems to get in the way of my sewing and when I do sew it seems to be very slow going. I never understand how people just crank garments out in a few hours. I lose my concentration  quickly and hence make mistakes so its slow and steady for me. 

The extreme hot weater is upon us and I HATE it...... The EDS makes it very hard for me to control my temperature and I am ALWAYS hot!!!  In summer I cannot wears anything with a sleeve and I know at my age and size a lot of people don't want to show their arms but all I can say is"not me"......  I do realize that it isn't the best look in the world but hey I need to be comfortable and cool foremost.

My closet was in need of some knit tops that are lightweight and can be worn around the house. Most that I had certainly had seen better days or were RTW and of course poor fit. All this to say that I decided to try making the Colette Sorbetto top in a nice soft knit. My daughter has a top that has a diagnol/uneven hem on it which I liked so I attempted to copy it.

I am glad with how it turned out and it will be lovely just for hanging around. I made it smaller than my regular sorbetto as I was using a knit and I raised the armholes as I thought the original was too low and I wanted to be more covered. I stabalized the neckline and did bindings on the armoles and necklines. I top stitched the centre pleat to keep it in place.

Next time I make this I will lengthen it by about 2 inches as I prefer my low prominent stomach to be covered and may lower the neckline a little which I think will be more flattering on me.

Next up I am attempting some capris again. Fitting pants has been a complete nightmare for me but I shall keep perservering and even if I can improve one small part at a time I am happy.